De Peverel Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[PRP]Searching for Herself

3 posters

Go down

[PRP]Searching for Herself Empty [PRP]Searching for Herself

Post  LiaRK Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:38 am

ooc: Thank you to Wayland and Jennet for giving me a space to RP my jounery here, to find who Lia is. Feel free to read....but unless you are named or interacted with, please do not post.

It was nearly midnight, the moon sat high in the sky. Lia hadn’t been sleeping, but reading by candlelight. The trip had been hard on all, Jez and Erila at odds, word being sent that she had been nominated for Regent, and the stress of being again with her husband after being apart for so long.

Lia pulled out a piece of parchment and penned a small note:

My dearest,
The times have been tough as of late, the tensions high. We have had conversations about the past, and where the future should lead. I am going to go in search of those answers, back to my old home in Exeter. I have been in contact with friends there, been assured safety inside of Cornwall’s borders, and on the trip there. Please do not be angry, but with everything going on, I think you were right, I have lost myself, and I need to find the answers on my own. Please let Jez and Erila know that I am alright…but this is something I need to do on my own.

Your loving wife,

Lia

She placed the note on her undisturbed pillow, where Rougue would find it when he awakened. Looking at his sleeping form, she brushed the hair off his forehead, and leaned down to give him a soft kiss. Tears threatened to overspill her lashes, so she turned and grabbed her pack before she changed her mind. Lia went down to the stables to find her mount. Waking up one of the stable hands, she gave him a few pence and had him direct her to her horse. Saddling up her mare, she took one last look at the Inn where her family slept. The tears were running down her cheeks freely now, but she knew if she was a coward and turned back now, Lia might never truly be happy, or have a sense of who she was anymore.

Nudging the horse into a gallop, she sped away from the walls of Arundel, off to find her past, her present, and her future….

LiaRK

Back to top Go down

[PRP]Searching for Herself Empty Re: [PRP]Searching for Herself

Post  LiaRK Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:40 am

Lia road hard out of Arundel, the tears streaming down her face. Luckily the path was clear, and the horse seemed to know the way. After the walls disappeared behind her, the tears started to ebb, and Lia dried her eyes with her sleeve and slowed the horse to an easy gait. The initial feeling of being scared…going off on her own….faded, replaced by the feeling that a weight was lifted off her; Lia was on a journey to find who she was.

Entering the stables at the Inn in Winchester when she arrived, Lia swung down off her mount and tossed the reins to a stable boy. Producing coins at the Inn, she paid for a nights lodging and went into the tavern. Lia was happy to see China was there, and tackled him to the ground with a hug. She knew he had traveled south….and was glad to see him safe and well. Telling him of her plans, he wasn’t happy she was traveling alone. Lia did what she could to reassure him….and knew it was only because he cared. When her father died, China became her guardian, and even though she was married, he still played protector.

Lia enjoyed the short visit with China, but too soon it was time to continue her journey. The next morning…Lia had one of the stable boys saddle her mount and after tossing him some coin, she began her trip again. Lia rode straight through Southhampton, and decided to stay in a field underneath the stars the next night. She pitched her small tent, and built up a fire. She passed no one on the roads, and the night was quiet. After having a small meal, she sat before the fire.

She thought back on everything that her life has brought her. A wonderful husband that loved her, but as of late they were drifting apart. Mayoring and Counciling had been rough on them both, and the distance cause by Chester filing charges for Rougue going a day to Stafford, left him stuck there for a time. The troubles with the wolves, Inanna leaving, then Wayland taking over…much discord was evident. Then Oro stepping up, and more discord and discovery.

Lia sighed staring into the fire. Life was so much easier when she was little. She sat back and looked to the heavens. Both her parents were up there…..her mother when she was 5, her father when she was 16. Lia had few memories of her mother, but remembers her father telling her that all she needed to do was look in a mirror, and she would see her mother’s face. Lia pondered for a bit…why she was left with China when her father died…and not sent to live with true family.

Lia wished she knew more about her family…there had to be some out there somewhere. Who am I truly…she thought to herself. A name flittered through her mind….a name she hadn’t used in a long time. For as long as she could remember….her father always called her Lia. Her father had loved her mother very much. After her death….Lia only remembers being called Lia, as she was named for her mother….and the name was a bittersweet reminder that her mother was gone.

Lia banked the fire a bit, tears of remembrance leaking through her lashes. Confidant that the fire would not take off in the middle of the night, she settled into her tent, watching the stars through the flap. As she drifted off to sleep, she whispered into the dark…..

Elizabeth Lianna……who are you?

LiaRK

Back to top Go down

Post  LiaRK Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:27 pm

Lia hovered between waking and sleeping….memories flooding back interspersed with dreams. She tossed and turned fitfully, the light blanket becoming twisted around her body. Lia bolted upright….crying, perspiration matting her hair to her face, her heart racing as she tried to recall the dream……

~~about fifteen years ago~~

Lia laid in her bed awake….Papa had just tucked her in. Even though she was only five…Papa scared all the monsters away, and Lia felt comfortable in the dark. Lia didn’t want to go to sleep, Mama was real sick…and she was scared if she slept….Mama would go be with the angels and leave her behind. Lia knew that Mama would have to leave soon, Mama sat Lia down like a big girl and talked to her the other day.

Lia, you know Mama will have to go away soon?
But why Mama, don’t you love us anymore…..
Mama held her as tight as her failing arms could and stroked her hair.Mama loves you very much, Papa too; but Mama is sick, and is going to be with the angels up in Heaven.
But Papa stay? And take care of me? Lia asked, slightly confused, but understanding what Mama was saying.
Yea my love, Papa will stay here, and you and him will need to take care of each other. I need you to be a big girl Lia, Papa doesn’t want me to leave any more than I want to. But Jah has decided that he needs me more than the two of you do, Mama told her…a sad smile on her lips.
Lia threw her arms around her Mama, holding on and hugging her tightly. I understand Mama, I be a good girl and help Papa. When will we see you again….
Not for many years is my hope my child…..you have a long life ahead of you, love of your own….children….a family….Mama said her voice going soft. Mama is tired now baby….have Papa put you to bed…
Lia didn’t want to go, but Mama looked really tired. Ok Mama… she said, giving her Mama a kiss.I love you, she whispered.
Mama’s arms tightened a bit. I love you too baby.

Lia knew her Mama’s time was close, and wanted to sleep with her that night. To feel Mama’s arms around her. Lia crept down the small hallway, then was startled by the loud voices….Mama’s and Papa’s

Elizabeth….let me contact your family….they need to know your sick…. she heard Papa say.
No Charles….I cut off all ties to them when I married you. They wouldn’t understand….they would take our Lia away….the only one that would understand would be my brother….but I haven’t seen him since my niece was young…
Then I will try to find your brother….where can I find him....please love…you need your family…I can’t raise a young girl on my own…. she could hear her Papa plead.
I have no idea what happened. He was called away to court….then the family packed up and moved. I haven’t seen them in years….then the falling out when I married you….further widened the gap…
I will try to find him someday……I promise you that….

Lia crept back to her room, wanting to get away from them talking about Mama dying. She was curious though….there was more family….maybe Papa find them and they wouldn’t be alone…….

Mama died a few days later. Everyone was crying….Papa was very sad. He held Lia close and they comforted each other. People came and went….then only Papa and her were left.

~~back to present day~~

Lia remembered the memory like it was yesterday now…the pain of her mother leaving….and father had never looked for her uncle, not that she knew of. He raised her as best he could….just the two of them.

When I get to Exeter I will look more….maybe now I can find my past….and find out who I am….she whispered to herself.

LiaRK

Back to top Go down

Post  LiaRK Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:27 pm

As the first rays of light greeted the new day, Lia stirred in her camp. The dream still lingered on her mind….but she pushed those thoughts aside and began to get ready for the new day. Lia hadn’t seen anyone on her travels, thankful for the tranquility and solidarity. Lia had spied a bank through the grove of tress, and went down to bank to wash up.

Washing the dust from her face, and slicking her hair back from her face she looked into the surface of the water. Her own eyes looked at her. Lia looked into her own eyes, wondering what other people saw when they looked at her. She wasn’t sure she recognized what she saw. Lia was beginning to learn a little bit more about herself…but she wasn’t quite there yet. The dream had stirred some more thoughts, and until Lia found what she was searching for…she felt as if she wasn’t complete.

Disrupting the image by splashing water on her face, Lia stood up and greeted the new day. She went to where her horse was tied up and saddled the mare. Breaking down her camp, she covered the fire to make sure that it was completely out, and packed up her things. Tying the pack to her horse, she mounted up and set up at a casual pace.

Going along the sea road, Lia enjoyed the life around her. The birds singing, the wildlife in nature, even the simple flowers that graced her path. She came upon the town of Dorchester, and thought about stopping. Knowing that Exeter wasn’t too far off, she continued on…going around the city rather than through it….crossing the border into Sommerset. It had been months since she crossed this border last….on her journey away from Exeter and Cornwall, with her new husband and her family.

So much had happened…Lia thought to herself. So many things had happened….so many things had changed. I wonder how Exeter has fared since I left…..if my old friends are still there…. Lia shook her head and cleared her mind. She knew daydreaming was dangerous on the road…she couldn’t afford to let her guard down. Even a promise of safe travels from a couple friends…she just couldn’t be too careful.

She set up camp again, just outside of Chard, her travels done for the day. Banking a fire for warmth and comfort, she sat by the fire wrapped in a blanket. Tomorrow I will be back in Exeter! Lia thought to herself. The dream still haunted the young woman…intent on finding out what she could. Lia knew she would have to look into it further. If there is family out there....maybe they have the answers I seek…..

Lia sighed deeply….missing her family…..missing Rougue….but knowing she was on the right path. She entered her tent…and cuddled up on her self. Closing her eyes….this night was filled of promise…and dreams of the future, instead of haunting dreams of the past…..

LiaRK

Back to top Go down

Post  LiaRK Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:59 am

Lia woke up the next morning refreshed…and ready to finish the last leg of her journey to Exeter. Breaking down camp, she got everything around and headed off. She bypassed Chard, she was dusty, tired, and ready to make it to her destination.

Reigning in at the livery in Exeter, she tosses a few coins to the stable hand, requesting a full groom for her mayor. She walked through the town…amazed by how much had changed. So many new faces, so many old friends….she was glad she came to visit. Taking a room at the Inn, she called for a bath. She watched as the workers brought a washtub and filled it with steaming water. Once the men had left, she barred the door. Lia slipped out of her dust filled garments and stepped in the tub, submersing herself underneath. Coming back up she sighed as the hot water soothed her tired muscles. Grabbing the soap she lathered her hair and body, then laid back and closed her eyes to soak. When the water started to cool, she rinsed off and stepped from the tub. Brushing her hair till it gleamed, she donned a pale blue day dress and headed out.

Lia had wandered around town for awhile...looking at the sights and sounds. Everything she once knew was gone....so many things had changed. During her journey to Exeter....memories were flooding back. There was a box....a box that she had hidden long ago in the barracks...when she was part of the CRG. Going by the barracks, it didn't seem that anyone had been there for quite sometime. Hopefully the box was still there.

Standing tall, careful not to be on guard, but to let her sword hand rest freely at her side, and not on the hilt of her sword....she pushed the door open slowly. Familiar sights greeted her....where she and the boys used to sit and bicker. There didn't seem to be anyone around, so she went to the side of the chimney, and removed a couple of the bricks there.

Joy crossed her face....the box was still there. Maybe in there was the key to who she was....a clue in the papers in the box....tucking the box under her arm....she put the bricks back to rights and slowly headed to the exit.....

Shaundra wrote:Shaundra was walking toward the tavern just to see who was around when a familiar figure was seen out of the corner of her eye. Stopping and turning to do a double take, Shaundra is thrilled to see her friend Lia in town. As she is about to call to her, Lia stops and goes into the Barracks of the CRG.

Curious as to what she would be doing there, Shaundra creeps up and looks around the door. Startled to see the hiding place Lia has uncovered, she waits a bit more to give her friend the privacy she obviously craved for this moment.

As Lia gets up and walks to the door Shaundra walks around the door and says "Lia! What a suprise. I just saw the door open and was coming to check on why. I am headed to The Apple Blossom to see who around the town while I am here dropping off wood." Grabbing Lia on the arm she leads her out of the barracks gently.

Lia startled a bit when she seen a figure in the doorway. Her free hand went to the hilt of her sword...not knowing what danger was ahead. Taking a look at the figure, she visibly relaxed and broke into a grin.

Shaundra! Tis good to see you my friend!Lia cried, rushing to greet her friend...embarrassed that she was caught in the barracks.

Seeing the anxious look on Shaundra's face, she allowed herself to be led out of the barracks, and onto the street. I know I was trespassing, but I had to retrieve something I left behind when I left, Lia explained holding up the box. Hearing mention of a tavern, Lia grinned.

Lead the way my friend....we have much to catch up on....

Going to the tavern with Shaundra….Lia explained what was going on…and revealed what the box was for.

This box has papers and such from my father’s estate. I have never looked through it, but hope there is a clue to who my family is. My mother never talked about family, but I remember bits and pieces from my childhood. I’m hoping that the information I seek is in this box, Lia explained.

Smiling at her friend she said, Let’s have a drink and catch up. I’ve missed you greatly, and am moving on to Plymouth tonight! Calling for a round of drinks, Lia spent the afternoon talking and laughing with Shaundra….catching up on news, reliving the past….and decided to not discuss the future.

LiaRK

Back to top Go down

Post  LiaRK Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:21 am

Lia sat in her room in the Inn in Exeter, the journey was a safe but long one. The time spent traveling gave her much time to think, and to sort her thoughts. Rougue and her had been drawing apart….little by little, the rift getting bigger with time. Time and again, they talked and talked, and tried to make it work, only to make each other unhappy in the end. It wasn’t fair to one or the other to continue this way, it was neither ones fault. Knowing that she needed to let him know she was safe, and what was really going on, she sat down to pen a note…..

My dearest Rougue,
I wanted to let you know I made it to Exeter safe and sound. The trip gave me a lot of time to think. I really would rather do this in person, but I might not be back home for a couple of weeks, and it is not fair to either one of us to let it drag out. We have been drifting apart, you and I, the gap widening daily, no matter how hard we try to bridge it. It’s been weeks since we’ve really talked, us being mostly in two different counties, doing what we each need to do, and not relying on one another. I think it’s past time to agree, neither one of us is happy, and try to salvage the friendship we began with. I would rather keep you close as a friend, then let the rift destroy us. I truly am sorry it had to end this way, but in my heart I know it’s for the best. You will always hold a special place in my heart, and no one can take away the memories. Please forgive me for running away, and letting it come to this. Perhaps we should have not waited this long….but what’s done is done. It’s time for us to move on with our lives…to follow our own paths, sadly it’s just not the same path any longer.

Love,
Lia

By the time Lia finished the letter, tears were pouring down her face, sadness for the hurt that it would cause, but knowing it was the right decision in her heart. She wiped a couple of the teardrops off the letter, careful not to smudge the ink and folded the letter up. Giving it to a messenger, with enough coin for three, she directed him post haste to deliver the letter to Rougue. Going to her room, she sat in front of the mirror, looking at her reflection. She slowly removed her rings, slipping them on a chain she had bought at the market earlier. Lia didn’t want to send them with the note, they were far too valuable to be lost, and Rougue might want them back. Lia put the chain over her head, the coldness of the rings coming to rest upon her chest. She would offer the rings to Rougue next time she seen him….whenever that might be. Exhausted by the emotional turmoil she was in, she crawled into bed, the tears having faded, and fell in a restful sleep. Lia’s heart was aching a bit, but the weight pulled off of it was greater than the ache. Lia fell into a dreamless sleep….relaxed for the first time in days...

Lia had packed up her belongings. She had gone though the box she had retrieved from the barracks...and had some clues. Returned letters....unopened.....from a place near Fowey. She could see her mother's handwritting on some....her father's on the others.

Then to Fowey I must go...maybe someone there can help me...

Going down to the stables, she had the stable hand grab her tack, and she saddled the mare. As she was leaning down to tighten the girth, she noticed a carriage pulling up. Peeking around the corner of the stable she gasped.

I came to Exeter to get away from all that.....Lia muttered. Tying her bundles to the saddle....she mounted her mare and headed for the long road to Plymouth....the trip would do her good.

She smiled slightly as she left the walls of Exeter....sorry to be leaving so soon, but glad not to stay another day.....

LiaRK

Back to top Go down

Post  LiaRK Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:06 am

Lia traveled onto Fowey, going through Plymouth. In her room at Plymouth when she stopped for a day, she went through the contents of the box again. There were many letters, some in her mother’s handwriting, some in her father’s. Most looked to either not have been sent, or returned back. Picking one up that was returned, she looked at the unbroken seal. Breaking open the seal, she unfolded the parchment and noticed the date on it was around the time of her birth. Lia began to read…..

My dearest Brother:

Has been so long since we’ve seen you, or know how you are. I heard a rumor you were nearby, so hope this letter reaches you. The family has disowned me, marrying for love, instead of power. You would like Charles, he is a good man. We have just celebrated the birth of a daughter, Elizabeth Lianna. How is your daughter fairing? I wish to connect with you, not because of money or anything like that. You up and moved, and went away. Left me to deal with Mother and Father….you escaped. I’ve missed you these last five years…

We live in Exeter, perhaps you can send word or come visit…..

Your loving sister,
Elizabeth

At the bottom of the note was another seal…a crest it appeared like. It was a branch with big white flowers…and silver and red…..something Lia had never see before. Looking at the rest of the letters her mother had written, they all said about the same thing, and all had that funny little crest at the bottom. Looking at one from her Father, Lia cracked the seal and opened that one and read…

Mi’lord,

I just wanted to inform you of the passing of your sister Elizabeth. Something caught in her lungs, and she was unable to fight it off. She leaves behind lil Lia and myself. I want nothing from your family, but just wanted to let you know. I don’t know why you all continue to ignore the letters, but at least I have do my duty….

Charles

There were a couple other letters, mostly towards Lia’s teen years, asking for advice, asking what to do. A tear fell down her cheek, she realized how loved she was by her parents….and felt bad for the family lost.

Tucking the letters back into the box, she began traveling again, onto Fowey. She had brushed by a couple of CRG patrols, but thankfully they paid no mind. She was assured safe travels while visiting, but one can never be too careful. Entering the gates of Fowey she looked around. In all the time she lived in Cornwall, she had never been to this fish town. So everything was a bit new to her. She wandered around town a bit…not really knowing anyone, but knew of a couple that had lived her before.

She knew Blades was from Fowey, but had no clue if he was still about. The last time she seen him was at her wedding, when Alecia and him came to the reception. She had seen Alecia up in Chester, and had heard they were no longer together….so she wasn’t sure if he was still around or not. Maybe I can find someone in Fowey to ask about this seal…maybe someone knows who it belongs to….Lia thought to herself. She decided to go sit by the sea for a bit and rest, and recover from her long trip.

LiaRK

Back to top Go down

Post  Blades Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:49 pm

Blades was just rowing his boat into the shore, a little tired and smelly from a day of fishing when he noticed something different, there was a figure sitting on the beach. As he beaches his boat and anchors it, he starts to head to Fowey, but something pulls him back. Looking at the profile of the woman, something strikes him, he has seen her before. As he slowly and quietly approaches her, he gets close enough to see that it is Lia, he met from up in Exeter.

Lia?

He asked not completely sure if he was right and even if she would remember him, it had been a while.

Blades

Back to top Go down

Post  LiaRK Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:51 pm

Lia, lost in her thoughts, jumps at the sound of a voice. Looking up, she sees that it is Blades and smiles. I thought to come visit Fowey, I was in Cornwall on some personal business; and it would seem that business brought me to here, she told him, smiling that she finally found a familiar face.

Perhaps you can help me…. Lia asked, drawing out the box with the letters inside. Inviting him to sit for a moment, she showed him the letters. These letters were written by my mother, and sent somewhere here in Fowey, she told him. Showing him the seal inside…Do you recognize this seal….I know you have lived here long…it appears I have family…..and even if they don’t want to claim me….at least I know I tried…. she finished…handing the letter over to him.

LiaRK

Back to top Go down

Post  Blades Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:08 pm

Blades takes the letter from Lia and looks hard at the seal, it did look familiar. Blades, stands up, and paces back and forth; racking his brain, trying to figure out where he has seen that seal before. He closed his eyes and can see the the coat of arms, up on the wall, as he mentally looks around and as his mental image starts to come together. He sees a staircase, a mantel. Suddenly his eyes open wide and he reaches down grabs her by the hand and takes her to a manor set back into the woods. Leading her up the path he smiles. He knows that this will be a welcomed reunion, With a quick knock on the door, he entered ushering both of them into the main room, and there was the coat of arms, mounted on the wall above the fireplace.

"Stay here a moment. Let me fetch the lady of the house."
Blades quickly leaves and then returns with a woman in tow. Looking at the two women Blades clears his throat.

"Lady Lia... I would like to introduce you to a family member of yours... Lady Jennet." Blades turns to address Jennet,

"Lady Jennet, I present to you a lost family member, Lady Lia." After the introduction Blades hands the letter with the seal to Jennet and steps back, allowing the two ladies to talk

Blades

Back to top Go down

Post  LiaRK Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:14 pm

Lia watched Blades pace back and forth, she could see him thinking. Suddenly he turns to her, and without a word leads her down a path. Usually she would be frightened, but this was a friend, so she trusted him completely. He leads her to a manor, and with a quick knock opens the door and takes her inside. Taking her to a large room, he tells her to wait, and leaves her to look around.

Lia glances around the room, her eyes coming to rest above the fireplace. There plain as day, was the same crest as what was represented on the letters her mother had written. Is this a family home… Lia wondered to herself. Blades walked back into the room, with another woman in tow….and she looked at the new arrival. She barely heard the introductions Blades spoke, she was far too busy looking at the woman’s face. Calling up an old memory, the woman she had heard referred to as Jennet bore a striking resemblance to her mother. Shaking her head to jar her out of her thoughts, she remembers her manners.

Shyly looking at the woman in front of her, she speaks softly but carefully….Blades uses my nickname that everyone knows me by….I am Elizabeth Lianna, she stated…..And I think….we might be family…. Lia added, searching the woman’s face, trying to gauge her reaction.

LiaRK

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennet Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:58 am

“Elizabeth…Lianna….lost family?” Jennet shook her head and accepted the letter with the seal, the look of confusion evident. “Blades, what in blue blazes are you blathering about? And did you let yourselves in? Good heavens….Amelia! Amelia! Now where has that girl gotten off to? I swear, one of these days I am going to turn her out on the street. No wonder mother and father saddled me with her keeping.”

Saying that last, Jennet glanced around the stairs hoping for a sign of her errant serving girl, to no avail, and, then started, her cheeks blushing in embarrassment. “Just look at me, why don’t you, forgetting common hospitality!” She cast a glance at the young lady before her. The hair was totally different, blonde to Jennet’s chestnut brown tresses, but there was something about the line of her face, the sweep of her forehead that reminded her of her own reflection…and the eyes, not Jennet’s emerald green sprinkled with flecks of sparkling gold like her Welsh mother’s, but crystal blue. Those eyes she had seen before. The realization set her into motion and she gestured to the sitting area near the fireplace, offering a gracious smile to the young woman who was so clearly looking at her shyly. “My lady, welcome to Hawthorne Manor. Please, won’t you join me for some tea? I’ve only just put some chamomile on for the afternoon. “

The fire in the over-sized fireplace was roaring, knocking off the chill that had invaded the remote fishing town so early this year. The entire room was paneled in deep rich wood, rugs of inestimable worth covering vast swathes of the floor bearing the crest of the de Holland family—per saltire, argent and gules, a hawthorne tree in bloom. Tapestries in brilliant colors of woven wool flanked the fireplace and the high windows, displaying various scenes, some from the Bible, others, slightly more worldly, from the romances of Chretien de Troyes, a particular favorite of her mother’s. Jennet allowed the young woman to walk before her and bade her sit in one of the high-backed chairs, cushions in each embroidered with winding green branches and tiny silver-white flowers, the same branches and flowers found in the rugs and in the tapestries and in the curtains, drawing the whole into some semblance of order. Jennet herself held back a pace and addressed Blades as they walked. Her face never lost the friendly smile she had displayed with the young woman, but her voice held a touch of reproach. “My friend, remind me to not commit the same mistake twice, and to keep the keys to Bryn Madn to myself…” It was a moment before she glanced at him and winked, grinning. “Keep the lady company. I will be back shortly.”

Jennet bustled off to the kitchens which she found to be empty. Still no sign of Amelia. She made a mental note to have a talk with that girl. If the stablemen of Holywell were less attractive than those of Fowey, perhaps the girl would attend more to her duties. She found the tea ready and added two more delicate and rare imported porcelain cups to the tray on the sideboard, along with the fresh honey in a tiny stoneware dish. She glanced at the seal on the letter before placing it also on the tray. Possibly a forgery, but for what purpose? Carrying the tray out to the sitting room and setting it gently on the low, carved wooden table before the chairs, she poured three cups full before offering the cups and linen damask napkins to her guests. She drew a napkin over her own lap, added a small touch of honey to her cup and stirred with a tiny silver spoon before settling back into the chair nearest the fire.

A sip and a genial smile touched her lips before she spoke, “Now, my lady, Blades, would someone please explain to me what this is all about?”
Jennet
Jennet

Back to top Go down

Post  LiaRK Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:12 pm

Lia was touched by the hospitality that she was being offered, and nodded slightly to the offer of tea. Taking a seat in the chair she was directed too, she glanced around the room. The crest that she had first seen on the note of her mother’s was evident in this very room. Smoothing down the skirt of her dress, she feels very much out of place in such a fine setting. Lia stared into the fire, smoothing her skirt down and playing with the trim. Even though she bore a slight smile on her lips, her mind was racing as to what this woman thought of her. Hearing the slight reproach in her voice when she address Blades about keys, she winced slightly; hoping the Blades hadn’t got into trouble helping her… but then she heard the name Byrn Madn. Where have I heard that name before…. Lia pondered. Then it hit her. Bryn Madn was in Chester, where she is from….and if she remembered right, was home of Wayland, who she had met a few times before. Not really understanding the connection there….when Jennet returned she took the teacup that was offered and took a small sip. Setting the cup on its holder, Lia looked at Jennet, and tried to explain….

My Lady, I do not mean to intruded on your life, nor seek anything for myself. I simply want to find where I belong…..Lia began, not really looking at anything, but now staring in the fire. My mother died when I was quite young, and I was raised by my father near Exeter. I never knew any other than him as family, and it was something that was never discussed. My father was a good man, just was never able to deal with his grief of my mother leaving us. I lost him just a few years ago… she said, breaking off and taking another sip of tea. I’ve had a good life, albeit a simple one. My father left me in the care of a good family friend, so I was always protected, and ended up having some brothers there to look out for me. Then I was married for a time, moved to Chester….Lia broke off, picking up the napkin and dabbing a bit at her eyes, that wound still a bit deep, but healing little by little. Lia drank a bit more tea, more to steady her emotions, more than for thirst.

I decided then to find where I really belong….if there was family looking for me. Like I have said….I want nothing…least nothing that is tangible, other than a sense of who I am…of where I belong….she trailed off…feeling like she was rambling a bit. Handing over the other letters she had in her possession. These are all the letters I have, maybe you can explain why they were returned. Lia felt bad for dropping all this in the other woman’s lap…but it seemed it was the only way she was ever going to get any answers…

LiaRK

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennet Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:34 pm

Jennet sipped the steaming tea and listened intently to the young woman’s story, pausing to set her cup aside and pat Lia’s lap affectionately as the young woman dabbed at her eyes, a reassuring smile touching her face. Her mother dead so young, and her father taken too soon, set adrift and left with family friends, it was almost unbelievable that a single young life could be filled with so much tragedy. And to now be without her husband, well, the woman truly had no one left. No wonder she had come to Fowey looking for answers. Whether she was kin or not, Jennet’s heart cracked with anguish for the lady before her. She was a brave one to march in and boldly seek the truth of the matter, and, for that, Jennet admired her.

The letter on the tray drew her eye, and she opened it carefully, examining the seal and the ribbons, the writing, the parchment itself for signs of age or tampering. It was a very old letter for certain, but it was what was inside that caused her to sit back, a faint look of surprise registering on her face. Elizabeth… her aunt Elizabeth… She searched the young woman’s face again as she rolled the name around in her mind. She had been barely out of the cradle herself the last time she had seen her father’s sister, before they left Wales for the south. She accepted the other letters that Lia offered and read them each in turn, the sounds of the room fading away except for the crackling of the logs on the fire and the creak of the chair as she opened a letter, read it, placed it on the table, opened another… The story began to take shape in her mind. Jennet had faced the wrath of the de Holland’s herself for her willful refusal to be anything but what she was. She had battled her own parents for the right to marry the man she loved, and not for title or land. Hell’s bells, the estate she had inherited had more money than three families should need. Wealth was of no consequence, and titles but empty pieces of paper. What mattered were the people behind the coin and the coronet. Jennet had always assumed she faced the fight alone, but here before her was a woman who had been turned out of a loving home, denied the comforts of family, all because her mother had chosen as Jennet now chose. Coming out of her thoughtfulness, her heart racing in barely concealed anger, she looked down and saw that her delicate hand had clenched into a fist where she gripped the letter, crumpling the edge of the aged parchment. Willing herself to relax, she smoothed the page and placed it with the others. A deep breath calmed her before she addressed Lia.

“My lady, if the story you tell me is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, then you are my blood and a cousin, and a grave injustice has been done you. If there is more to this tale than these letters tell, there is one man nearby who can pour some light on the subject--my father, and, by the look of your eyes and hair, your uncle. My parents have retired to the country, some distance away. “ Jennet cast a wary glance out the tall windows at the rapidly setting October sun, “If I am to make it before nightfall, I must leave soon. I would hear what my father has to say at once.” She rose and took Lia’s hand in hers gently her voice dropping into a sympathetic near-whisper, “If you will accept the hospitality of this house, please allow me to offer you rooms and a hot meal while you are staying in Fowey. It is the very least that I can give you.”

At that moment, the missing serving girl, Amelia, appeared, apron askew, hair a disheveled remnant of the neat bun it had once obviously been done in, cheeks flushed red, hurrying quickly and dropping a deeper curtsy than normal to her less than pleased mistress. Jennet’s tone was sharp, “Amelia, our guest is the Lady Lia. If she accepts my invitation, she will be staying with us. Tell the kitchens to bring her whatever she would like for her supper, and have the guest room nearest mine prepared for her. Fresh water in the basin this time, please. You are to attend to her every need without delay. Treat her as you would treat me.” Jennet spun on her heel to walk away and heard Amelia mutter a simple, “yes, Mistress, “ before she thought better of it and turned back to the girl, stating, “On second thought, treat her better than you treat me.” The defiant girl smiled at her mistress’ raised eyebrow, and the two of them shared a knowing look before Amelia scampered off to alert the house.

“Blades, my friend, if you would be so kind, I do not think I am off the mark to say that Lia would appreciate having a friendly face around should she decide to stay. If you would keep her company tonight, I would be grateful. The room at the end of the hall…you remember the one…it is ready as always if you would like to have it. Lia, I do so hope you will stay with us, for my sake if nothing else.”

Jennet smiled again at the young woman before excusing herself and hustling off to the stables, pausing only briefly to strap her sword and dagger to her waist. Wearing weapons in her mother’s presence always caused a fit of hysterics, and Jennet could well stand for a laugh after the somber news she had received. Not completely sure why, she also reached for a small pouch of coins and tied it to her girdle, the jingling of gold giving an almost musical sound as she walked. She found the stableman already saddling her horse and her questioning glance was met with a guttural, “Amelia, ma’am.” Jennet nodded, took the reins, and swung into the saddle. The objections about her riding into the lengthening afternoon shadows without escort were met with the sound of horse’s hooves as she galloped away, racing against the setting of the sun.

Last edited by Jennet on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jennet
Jennet

Back to top Go down

Post  Blades Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:17 pm

Blades had kept quiet, enjoying the tea as te tow ladies talked. It was hard for him to believe that Lady Jennet might have a long lost cousin that had traveled here to Fowey. He was finally addressed by Lady Jennet and after hearing the question quickly stood to his feet. He looked a Lia and smiled and then back to Lady Jennet.

Thank you my Lady. I will take you up on your offer and stay here.

Blades turns and looks at Lia... Would you like to see you room, my lady?
Extends his arms towards her awaiting her responce.

Blades

Back to top Go down

Post  LiaRK Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:06 am

Lia watched Jennet's face as she read the letters. She absently played with the ribbons on her dress, waiting for a response. Whether it be a response of dismissal, or acceptance, she was prepared for either. Finishing her tea she sat the cup aside as Jennet began to speak.

The room slightly spun as she heard acceptance, and an invitation to stay at the estate. Thank you for the kind offer...I would be glad to stay, so that we might get all this settled and possibly get to know each other better. she replied with a genuine smile.

Watching Jennet leave, she turned to Blades and took his arm. Looking around the grand house...If you would please show me my room, as I am afraid I might get lost in the halls of this place...she said with a laugh, grabbing up her small bag and slinging it over her shoulder.

LiaRK

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennet Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:12 pm

Jennet bent low over the neck of her snow white horse, hooves pounding in rhythm, hair loose and streaming behind as she galloped down the road towards her parents’ home. The scenery barely registered in her mind when the ocean air of Fowey gave way to the thick green forests that presaged Launceston. The chill of autumn closed in and Jennet tugged at her woolen cloak struggling to keep it closed as the wind rushed by. The mare snorted and puffed running at speed, and Jennet was grateful for the apparent lack of evening travelers. If there were bandits waiting in the trees, they would have to be quick ones.

Darkness was drawing closer when she pulled up the reins and slowed the mare to a trot, entering the gates of a sprawling grey stone estate capped with multi-hued slate from the sea coast. The clip-clop of hooves on the cobblestone path brought a familiar pang in her chest and she winced, thinking of her imminent departure from Fowey. I should have visited more, she thought, should have tried harder. With her parents, things had always been difficult at the best of times, but now she wondered if the break would be irreconcilable. She had chosen a man over her family, his destiny over theirs, and her parents saw it as the ultimate betrayal. Still, she thought, I should have tried harder.

Tossing the reins casually to the waiting boy, she ignored the hand he offered and jumped down to land lightly on the hard stones, her soft shoes providing little cushion, heavy skirts swirling around her ankles as she swept past the doorman who hurriedly opened the ornate carved door, sputtering something about announcing her. She padded into the main hall, looking about, her eyes resting finally on an aging man dressed from head to toe in burgundy wool and walking with a cane of artfully carved hawthorn wood.

“Charles, “ Jennet pronounced with a smile holding both hands out to the elderly man who took them both and kissed them each in turn, bowing deeply as he did so.

“Lady Jennet, “ he smiled broadly as he spoke, “to what do we owe this very great pleasure?”

Visibly stiffening she said, “A family affair, I’m afraid, and a very grave one. Tell me, where is father?”

“Lord Richard is in the library, my lady, with your lady mother, “ he gestured to a silent serving woman standing near the door, “Let me have you announced, my child. “

A restraining hand raised caused both servants to cease moving immediately, “Not necessary, Charles, thank you. My arrival will announce itself.”

Charles inclined his head and stepped back, resignation creeping into his voice, “As you wish, my lady.” From days past, he knew better than to argue with Jennet when it came to her father.

A rustle of skirts and the soft scuff of shoes reverberated down the cavernous halls of the estate towards the library. Entering the room, Jennet stopped momentarily and marveled. If the library of Hawthorne Manor was large, this one was monstrous. Volumes of every type, every style, collected from every city that her father and mother had visited lined the walls. Shelves and shelves of priceless treasures like glittering jewels in their leather bindings and cases called to the studious to spend their lives in quiet contemplation of the knowledge held in their pages. Jennet had forgotten just how many works her parents had collected over the years, but the place was not austere by any stretch of the imagination. At the end of the rows, two large stained glass windows lit the hall with the dying light of day, one depicting the Tower of Babel in all its glory with the phrase “Let us build a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven” and the other depicting Jacob’s ladder with glittering angels ascending and descending, Jacob sleeping with his head on a rock underneath and the phrase “The land on which you lie I will give to you and to your descendants.” Jennet had seen those windows many times, their mottoes the watchwords of the de Holland family and heirs, but the rich colors mingling with the light and shadows as day eased into night caused her to gaze in wonder.

Remembering her purpose here, she shook her head, a fog of questions filling her mind, making her unsure where to start. She walked haltingly past row after row of books, looking for her father, but she knew without a doubt exactly where he would be. Reaching the end of the hall and turning towards the small nook, she saw him sitting at his great oak desk, peering down at a ledger, following the lines with his fingers, deep in thought. He did not stir as she rounded the corner.

Light footsteps behind caused Jennet to turn quickly, too many days spent on the back of a horse, fresh threats echoing in her ears, spurred her hand to move instinctively to the hilt of her sword before she spun to find herself nearly bowled over by a woman carrying an armload of books that towered over her head. She was an inch or two shorter than Jennet herself, but in every imaginable way an almost exact copy, from the lengthy chestnut curls to the skin of alabaster and the eyes of green sprinkled with gold. It was only around those magnificent eyes that age had drawn its tiny lines and told the tale of a life spent squinting at books.

“Hello, mother, “Jennet smiled, stepping aside nimbly for her mother to pass, her hand releasing its grip on her sword.

“Good heavens, child!” her mother exclaimed, nearly tossing the books in her fright, “You startled me!” She set the books on the edge of the desk in a neat pile, which finally brought her father from his business dealings.

“Jennet, “ Lord Richard said in measured tones, “when did you arrive?”

“Only now, father. I have a matter of some importance to discuss with you and I regret that it could not wait until morning.”

Her mother smiled and started towards her, arms open, “Is it so important that you can’t spare a moment to hug your mother?” Just then her mother stopped short and stepped back cautiously, glaring at the sword on her daughter’s hip. “Jennet, by all that’s good and holy, why do you persist in wearing that thing in the house?”

“A lady can’t be too careful these days, mother, “ Jennet grinned mischievously, and stepped forward to close the distance, hugging her mother affectionately, “Seems I made a few, um, enemies in my travels. But it’s good to see you.”

Her mother’s embrace was warm, “And you my daughter. “ In contrast, the look on her father’s face was cold and distant.

“Tell me, “ he started before the embrace had ended, “what is this matter that was so important you rode here in the middle of the evening?”

Jennet pulled away from her mother and walked the few paces to her father’s desk, her tone and demeanor matching his for resolve. “There is a young woman at my house this very minute by the name of Elizabeth Lianna…”

A sharp intake of breath from behind caused Jennet to turn and see her mother gasp, a look of shock on her face.

“Ah, “ Jennet continued, her eyebrow raised, looking from her mother’s face to her father’s, “I see that the name was not as unknown to you as it was to me. Then perhaps one of you would tell me why I had never heard of her before she showed up on my doorstep this afternoon.“

“Jennet, it’s…” her mother began by way of explanation, but was cut short by Lord Richard’s sonorous voice.

“What exactly did this girl tell you?” he steepled his fingers and leaned back, a harsh look of suspicion mixed with resignation displayed on his proud features.

Shoulders sagging just a bit from the tension, Jennet pulled aside a leather-covered chair before her father’s desk and settled into it unceremoniously. She also leaned back, hands resting in her lap, and spoke more easily, “Lia told me that she believes she is Aunt Elizabeth’s daughter. That she was raised by her father who is now also dead. She brought letters, father, bearing Elizabeth’s seal, some written in her own hand, others in the hand of the man she married. I examined them each carefully. If they’re forgeries, then she’s a mistress of the art. I’d wager our fortune she’s Elizabeth and Charles’ daughter, father, but she’s been living for years with a family friend, taken in by complete strangers. Why? Why wasn’t she here with us? And, for heaven’s sake, why didn’t I even know she existed?!”

“Now see here young lady!” Lord Richard’s tone was brusque and he reached for the edge of the desk with both hands, gripping it hard with knuckles gone white as if to pull himself up to his full height and make one of his famous points about how young women should never raise their voices to their fathers, but, looking down at his hands ruefully, he seemed to think better of it. Instead, he reached for a small chest on his desk and unlocked it with a key he kept on a silver chain around his neck. How many times in her youth had Jennet tried unsuccessfully to gain access to that tiny chest with visions of miniature treasures contained within, and how many times had she cursed the blacksmith’s art for keeping her from her prize? Now, at long last she saw what was contained within as her father peeled back the gilded lid and reached inside to reveal a letter, brittle with age. Lord Richard looked at it with a faint flicker of remorse on the otherwise hard line of his face, his thumb brushing across the crimson wax seal on the front before handing it wordlessly to his daughter.

Jennet reached across and took the letter in her hands, a puzzled expression on her face which only grew more puzzled when she opened the letter, the seal having already been broken ages ago, an oily stain betraying where it had once held the parchment closed, creases deep and pronounced from having been opened and read and re-folded carefully time and time again. The date caught Jennet’s eye and she started to read, that looping unmistakably feminine script so familiar. One of Elizabeth’s letters, it seemed, had not been returned. In the days before her death, she had sent a letter detailing her illness and informing Lord Richard and the rest of the family of Lia’s existence, begging them to make sure she was cared for, pleading for them to look kindly on her husband Charles, who had always been a good and caring man, and to say a prayer for her immortal soul since it was likely she would never see any of them again this side of heaven. There was no rebuke in the letter, no harsh feelings, only the simple acceptance by a sweet soul of her fate and a plea for her helpless child when she was gone.

Pain like a fountain bubbled up inside Jennet’s breast as the words sunk deep. All the while he had known and he had left a child to suffer. It was more than she could bear. With a hand on the arm of the chair and the letter clutched in the other, she stood, a little shakily at first, and Lord Richard looked up, his eyes locked with hers.

“All this time, “ she started in a voice so full of anger it was almost a hoarse whisper, “all this time, you knew. You knew and yet you did nothing..”

Lord Richard did not stand but kept his eyes on his daughter’s face, the even-toned business man creeping back into his voice, “Jennet… when you have an entire family under your care, sometimes you have to make choices…terrible choices…for the good of the whole. Elizabeth was a kind soul, too kind. She could not see the shame she brought on this family with such a disgraceful marriage. She could have married anyone, had a title and a claim for her children, but she chose to marry a man of no land and no great name. She knew the choice she made when she made it. Your uncle and I thought it best…”

“Thought it best?!” Jennet interrupted, “thought what best, father? That Elizabeth die cold and alone? Or was it best that a child be left orphaned and in poverty? Which was it that you thought beneficial to the great de Holland name?” She tossed the letter down hard on her father’s desk in disgust and wheeled to walk away, the tears pressing behind her eyelids.

“Jennet! You will not turn your back on me! I am your father!”

“Oh, yes, you are my father, “ she spat and turned back to face him, her tone escalating to match his, “as much as I might wish it otherwise. You are my father, but no longer am I your ward. What were your words, father? Oh, yes, I remember. You said that you were done with me, that you washed your hands of me and my wardship, that you gave it all into my hands-the title, the land, my own future, even the keeping of our family name and honor-if I thought I could do any better. Well, I accepted your offer, and I happen to think I am managing quite well. I am leaving Fowey in a few days’ time. Hereafter you will find me in Holywell with my fiancé.”

“I forbid you to marry that man! Why he’s not even worth one quarter of your dowry. What are his relations, what will become of your children? You’re a lovesick little fool just like Elizabeth. The man can’t even afford a decent bride price!”

“Money again, is it, father?“ Jennet said, her hands trembling as she suddenly remembered the pouch of coins at her waist. She pulled her dagger deftly from its sheath, causing her mother to jump back in fright clutching her chest, but Jennet simply bent and cut the woven cord that held the jingling pouch to her belt. She slid the dagger back into its place with a satisfying sound of metal and leather and tossed the small bag onto her father’s desk, spilling silver and gold across.

“There! Is that coin enough to purchase my freedom, father, or should I send over a wagon of valuables tomorrow? How much is it exactly for a daughter these days?”

Finally steady on her feet, the anger giving her respite from her grief, Jennet whirled and marched out of the library, her mother’s protestations echoing dimly down the halls. She did not wait for the servant to open the door, but flung it open herself and stepped outside as the tears began to pour hot and hard down her face. Her horse was exactly where she had left her. She gathered the reins in hand from the stammering boy, swung up and into the saddle and trotted out of the gate, not bothering to tuck her billowing skirts beneath her legs. Gratefully clear of the stifling air around the estate, she kicked hard with her heels and pointed her horse back towards Fowey.
Jennet
Jennet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum